Friday 30 September 2011

To sydney and back, throw in a dance festival, bad traffic and my LOVE for DANCE.

**Pre-Note** Just wanted to throw this in before you read ahead yes this blog is about the dance festival I attended but and if you have read my previous blogs it is going to be mixed with those ‘cracks in my pavement’ . I hope you enjoy the read Please leave your thoughts.
On Friday the 16th of Sept 2011 I was fortunate enough to attend the Australia’s Best Dance Crew Competition at Australia’s Dance Festival 2011, fortunate because I actually won the tickets through http://www.facebook.com/fantasticcrackers .
Competitions have become my thing lately, and in near future blogs I will share more on that and on how to go about winning ;) I might even be nice and start sharing some of these competitions/contests, with you all :D
So I have always been a LOVER of dance, not a dancer myself, suppose I could have been but unfortunately with my Dad being left to support two of us those things could never be afforded when I was younger. Though, through school I did travel the SINGING road. Was quite a good singer for a few years there having the opportunity to sing in the opera house for a charity function. Until those dreaded cigarettes’ got a hold of me and then my voice was never what it was…
I was one of many bursting with excitement upon the news of the show ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ and week after week my eyes were opened up to the true world of dance, and all these styles/genres I had never heard of. I fell in love with a dancer’s ability to tell a story through dance, I fell hard for that goose bump feeling some would leave you with and found myself craving to feel it again.
So now you understand a little more about my love for dance, you can possibly imagine that I was STOKED to win these tickets.
I had wanted to experience it with a girlfriend unfortunately MissB my twin sister was to be working and another friend couldn’t make it so MrM stood up and lovingly volunteered, now to get a babysitter…
No here busy there, maybe here.. Finally in the end my future brother in law, MissB’s partner stepped up to the plate :D
We were heading to Sydney, the city of lights and well if I were being honest one of  my MOST hated places, Eppp, so sorry much respect of course.
I shall explain briefly, every time I have gone back to the city of Sydney since leaving full-time residence cripes, ten years ago now (pause to remind myself not to feel old, lol) I have had bad luck, bad experiences, and bad times. Maybe one or two good here or there, but tragically for most times I landed back in Sydney mentally it seemed to eat me up and spit me out like a truly nasty master…
I could not ride an escalator; claustrophobia was my best friend when it came to lifts, ten minutes in a crowded place and I was anxious and knew only to run and to panic.
Scary, YES, bloody scary!! Much of those fears have lessened with a lot of hard work on my part.
Snap back to last Friday now we are driving to Sydney, I’m happy with my outfit (took a few pictures posted on Facebook, asked for opinions went with the highest voted)
***Injects a positive for you all, I have, or rather had a fear of bridges, once upon a time it would go to the extent of a panic attack if the bridge was really long or of a skinny nature. In recent times I have been a lot better in recent times, but there is this one bridge/deep gully like thing from memory and maybe someone who travels Newcastle to Sydney can help here, it’s before mooney mooney turn off or something?? But for the life of me it has lost me as to what it is called, sorry.
We were on approach and I knew it, what I would always go to was to shut my eyes and just breathe if I ever went over a bridge, it worked most of the time. Thankfully this road of recovery I have travelled, what I have learnt and what I needed at that moment came through for me and as I went to go with my gut reaction of shutting my eyes, I said out loud “you’re not afraid of this anymore”  and with all my strength I kept my eyes open the entire time, ok yes I might have put my hands up at the sides of my face to block the view LOL, MrM’s hand took mine and within his squeeze, told me he was proud of me. I couldn’t help but feel proud of myself, for when I look back and remember where I was I can truly say I have come so far and this is one of those small steps :D
So after all that BUT OF COURSE, we got stuck in horrendous traffic even with the time we had allowed, I felt we were never going to make it on time ARGHHHHHH.
The anxiety kicked in slightly, I knew for all good god I was not going to cry and ruin my make-up so I breathed, opened the window and coped a good load of fresh (okay that’s a lie were talking about Sydney here) air. The clock was beginning to haunt me slightly, my iPhone had died which meant my iPod had died basically the radio doesn’t work and the ‘a million years old’ CD player really has a mind of its own!!!
Silence, crawling at a snail’s pace with that dreaded view of forever ahead and ‘still’ car lights. I hung my head and silently prayed even though I’m not religious God please let us make it on time, Oh how I thank him, I really do cause guess what!! We made it literally grabbing one a few seats left and sitting there before the show had started :D
MrM did have to support with the grandstand seats, the height on approach I saw it and took a few steps back realised where I was and thought ‘oh god don’t embarrass yourself’ grabbed MrM’s hand and whispered get me down to that seat fast!!! Looked down and did not look up till I was in it because I get washy wavy feeling from heights and the fear it did take me honestly about ten minutes to come good and feel ok about sitting there. Intermission arrived at some point I so didn’t want to get up but that loo break was calling as we got to the drink/toilet area I looked down and saw no armband on my wrist Epppppp, oh dear L what have I done now. Telling MrM I turned back towards the seats all I could think stupidly was, if I don’t have it how do I even get the chance to come back to another event actually turned out wasn’t so bad I was distracted so much by my thoughts because I waltzed right down those stairs thankfully found the missing armband under my chair and went back to MrM. Funny though of all times to have it occur to me that I had simply just done something I had barely managed two hours earlier was when I was sitting there on the loo.
The competition, let’s get back to that ;) AMAZING NIGHT!!!
More than I could have expected, Theatrical, big groups with loud and truly to be proud of dancing. Throw in some of those hard hitting smaller ‘true crews’ as I call them, the tricks and flips keep my bedazzled in that way dance does, for me.
Memorable, apart from my shittyass (yes I will swear every now and then, lol) Camera, got great visual video of most routines as was the plan, but seems my SA cameras soundcard has gone to the heavens and all I got was muffmuffmuffmuffmuff :(
Oh well,  It is all on youtube.com, search Australian Dance Festival 2011 they have themselves posted everything from this year’s festival. So glad as the next day I was on there watching the routines over again, and sharing them instead of my crappy vid’s on Facebook, hehehe.
So all in all I looked great I did my best to deal with the hurdles because guess what I’M ONLY HUMAN ;) and I had a memorable blast of a fun time.
Thank you so very much to fantastic snacks for the tickets I posted earlier on their page I am sold, I will be going back next year and I reckon MrM will come again to as he said in the end he did enjoy it.
After arriving home and on a buzz we ended the night with a bottle of champagne I won through http://www.facebook.com/ProductReview.com.au , a delicious brut sparkling white after a couple of glasses sleep and soft pillows were calling my name. Was planning on enjoying a bit of a sleep in not having to pick MissK up till 10.30amish, but that body clock of being used to getting up between 7-8am had me up wide awake and listening to MrM snoring in the background and the sounds of that annoying neighbour banging hammers and doing home Reno’s at the most un-godly hour of the day.
Another day had started…… ;) May You concur your fears, and have ”’serenity now”’, until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment